Monday, August 14, 2017

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you want to know more about what I've been reading, visit my Goodreads shelf.

Last Week on Blogs: 
Celebrate!

Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge - Creekfinding: A True Story

Last Week in Books:

My favorite picture book this week was Over and Under the Pond by Kate Messner. It's another great nonfiction nature book that is engaging and informative. I also really enjoyed The Library of Fates by Aditi Khorana. I had looked forward to this book after interviewing the author for Rich in Color. The story is rich and lovely in so many ways. Braiding Sweetgrass was phenomenal. I loved this nonfiction book that shares about science and nature from a Native perspective. Young Frank Architect is cute. Pete with No Pants was amusing, but just okay for me. I don't often read celebrity books, but I grabbed The Adventures of Abdi by Madonna because I am interviewing an author on Rich in Color whose name is Abdi. He happens to be a Madonna fan so he mentioned the book in a video he made with Epic Reads. It's not geographically specific, but is said to be far away. It's a fantastical tale of a boy and a jeweler and a king. It wasn't outright horrible, but I wouldn't likely buy it.

The Coming Week:
I'm reading The Star-Touched Queen right now and had to pause my audio book due to scratches on the 5th CD. Ack! I may get back to it someday in print instead. I'm not sure what I will tackle next, but I'm sure to pack as many books in as possible in these last few weeks before school begins. Have a great week!

Reading Challenge Updates:
Goodreads Challenge 2017 - 388/550
Diversity on the Shelf 2017 - 172/225 (goal = 50% of my books by and/or about POC)
#OwnVoices Challenge - 103/125
#MustReadin2017 - 20/24

5 comments:

  1. I love me some Kate Messner!! I've got to find that book!
    Lisa
    LisaTeachR'sClassroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm now excited about Braiding Sweetgrass and The Library of Fates. Thanks so much for the heads up about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will read anything by Messner. I didn't even realize this book existed. I'm not sure how I missed it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a lot on your list that I have not heard of before. I do love the Messner books! So much that can be loved and used with this series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm interested to compare Over and Under the Pond with Creekfinding (which I suggested our library order after your recommendation last week).

    ReplyDelete