Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge



Alyson Beecher over at Kid Lit Frenzy hosts a Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge and has a roundup every Wednesday. I love the encouragement to explore more nonfiction. My plan is to read at least 100 nonfiction picture books this year.

Trapped! A Whale's Rescue by Robert Burleigh, illustrated by Wendell Minor

Goodreads summary: In the icy waters of the Pacific, a massive humpback whale unexpectedly finds herself tangled in a net abandoned by fishermen. When a rescue boat and a convoy of divers arrive to help the struggling humpback, a realistic and moving encounter bridges the human and aquatic worlds.

My thoughts: The story was compelling. I was amazed at the size and strength of this creature and the courage of those people attempting to help save the whale. Working so closely with such an enormous wild animal has to be intimidating. I appreciated the very thorough collection of online and print resources. This is a beautiful book packed with more information than I anticipated.

1 comment:

  1. Long on my wish list & I still haven't read it. It sounds like a great story, & I do like Robert Burleigh's books & Wendell Minor's beautiful paintings. Thanks for reminding me, Crystal.

    ReplyDelete