Sunday, December 6, 2015

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journeys. Jen Vincent over at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye from Unleashing Readers decided to put a children's and YA spin on it and they invite anyone with an interest to join in. You can participate by creating your post then visit one of their sites to add your site. Finally, visit at least three participant blogs and comment to spread the love.

If you want to know more about what I am reading, visit me at my Goodreads shelf. Images via Goodreads unless otherwise noted.

Last Week on the Blogs:

at Rich in Color
(2016 Books I want to read)

Reading Last Week: 
 

I read a lot this week, but there were definitely some standouts for me. The two that had me laughing were Mother Bruce by Ryan T. Higgins and I Really Like Slop by Mo Willems. 
In the Footsteps of Crazy Horse by Joseph Marshall/ illustrated by James Mark Yellowhawk was a quick, but excellent book about the life of Crazy Horse through a modern day grandfather-grandson road trip. Hiawatha and the Peacemaker by Robbie Robertson was another great look into Native history. 

Gone Crazy in Alabama by Rita Williams Garcia was a satisfying conclusion to the Gaither Sisters series.

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnely was a great historical fiction/mystery. 

A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki (adult fiction) was relatively mind-blowing. There are layers and layers to this book. I really adored the first part of the book. The later part I didn't enjoy as much, but overall, it was still an amazing experience. It's very unique.

The Coming Week: I'm listening to An Ember in the Ashes and may continue that into next week since it's lengthy. I'm also in the middle of a collection of Filipino short stories. Other than that, I will try to read a few more Printz books. Happy reading!

9 comments:

  1. Nice assortment of books and what a lot of reading you got done. I enjoyed reading An Ember in the Ashes. I hope you are enjoying listening to it. Here is my weekly report. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I wrote about Ask Me this week, I love that book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lot of books! I just saw Ask Me on another blog--It looks good. I loved A Northern Light. I agree it was a good historical mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked up Crazy Horse from the library. Not sure if I'll have time to get to it or not. I have Mother Bruce from there too. I'll get to that one in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've recommended A Northern Light to many students, very popular with many, Crystal. I'd like to read the one about Crazy Horse, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Northern Light was one of the first YA historical fiction texts that I've read. Mattie Gokey still sticks with me ten years later. I am glad to hear that you liked it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh! Which collection of Filipino short stories are you reading, I wonder? Is it the one by Mia Alvar? I have yet to read A Northern Light - but read a lot of great reviews on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading Growing Up Filipino edited by Brainard.

      Delete
  8. so many fascinating reads. Ever since reading Debbie Reeses comments of In the Footsteps of Crazy Horse, I've been wanting to read it. It's on order and I have to wait. I really hate to wait. I really love the Gaither Sisters. I've read this one, but have to go back and read the second. Since I purchased a lit circle set of One Crazy Summer, readers are always wanting the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete