Sunday, August 23, 2015

Celebrate!

Discover. Play. Build.

Ruth Ayres has a link-up on weekends where people link to posts that are celebrations about their week. I love this reminder to celebrate every week.

My celebration this week is that I am back to running. Last September I had an injury and I slowed down with my running, but by October I had to stop completely. I tried to run again a few times, but things didn't work out.

I went through physical therapy and other medical interventions, but wasn't able to get back to running again until the end of last month. Most of the time I'm running with a team that does both yoga and running together. We always start or end with yoga. We're training together for The Mini Donut Half Marathon.

The run has a specific focus "We will remember Mike Olson and also raise money for the Joe Was Just Joe Foundation, a local non-profit organization founded to develop and fund programs and educational resources to address issues related to suicide. We will also use the opportunity to raise awareness for suicide and mental health issues and honor all of our loved ones, both living and passed, who have suffered from depression and thoughts of suicide." This is the perfect event for me since I lost my father to suicide 18 years ago.

I have run just over fifty miles in the past few weeks in preparation for the fun in a few weeks. Some of the miles have been hilarious as we chat, some have been grueling in the heat, some have had lovely scenery and some miles have been boring. I'm just really happy that my body is cooperating.

3 comments:

  1. I'm happy for you, Crystal, in the running, with the group, and for the reasons to run. My daughter-in-law is mourning her loss of running because of plantar fasciatis. She's trying to heal, but it is a long journey. Good luck in the training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for writing. Suicide is an issue that hits close to home for me as well. I'm celebrating with you! So neat how the positive change in your life can ultimately help those in need of emotional support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great to get back to running! I have been running for years and had to take a few months off due to injury a few years back. The break from running was torture for me! It's wonderful that you have a team to run with and support causes as you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete