Sunday, May 17, 2015

It's Monday! What are you reading?

It's Monday! What are you reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journeys. Jen Vincent over at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye from Unleashing Readers decided to put a children's and YA spin on it and they invite anyone with an interest to join in. You can participate by creating your post then visit one of their sites to add your site. Finally, visit at least three participant blogs and comment to spread the love.

If you want to know more about what I am reading, visit me at my Goodreads shelf. Images via Goodreads unless otherwise noted.

The Past Week: 

I finished Korea Unmasked this afternoon. The author is Korean and has written about other countries before, but it is hard to take the many stereotypes and the simplification of culture. I know he's trying to give a quick overview in a humorous way, but it isn't necessary to do it in a way that perpetuates stereotypes. A Korean person gave me the book and there were aspects that I enjoyed, like learning some of the history, but it's definitely problematic.

Escaping the Tiger was a tough book to read. It shares the story of a young boy and his family who have left their home in Laos after the U.S. troops pulled out of Vietnam. They end up in a refugee camp. Most of the story takes place in the camp. It's not an easy time for the family, but they try to keep their hopes up for a chance to make a new start. It's a book that tells of situations that many members of my community also experienced before they came to the U.S. 

I got an ARC of I Am Princess X at ALA Midwinter and finally picked it up this weekend. It's a novel/graphic novel hybrid, but the ARC didn't have most of the illustrations. It's hard to judge it without those, but it was entertaining. From my Goodreads review, "This is a fun mystery with a few twists. I don't think it's meant to be taken too seriously though. Some things are way to coincidental, but it worked for me."

Surviving Santiago was my favorite book that I finished this week. I got the ARC at Midwinter and will be writing up a full review next week over at Rich in Color. It's a sequel/companion to Gringolandia but it could be read alone. I become more of a Lyn Miller-Lachmann fan every time I read one of her books. 

Eep! was a book I read in honor of an upcoming trip to Amsterdam. I thought I ought to read at least a few books from that neck of the woods before I head over. Eep! is quite a unique book. There's a fantasy element and it was a cute story. It's a difficult thing to explain without spoiling things, but it seemed to be about love and goodbyes. 

Currently Reading: 

I am loving Mexican Whiteboy. I only have a few more chapters left. Matt de la Peña has pulled me into Danny's life. Gameworld is okay, but I wanted to like it more than I do. I started The Screaming Staircase on audio, but it expired (checked out digitally) and now I think I'll have to start over. Cooking from the Heart is a Hmong American cookbook. There are many recipes, but it also has some great information, essays and even some poems in it, so I am making my way through slowly. I've made the Thai Bubble Tea (very sweet, but yummy) and the Coconut Sticky Rice with Mangoes - also sweet and yummy.  I want to try some more of the recipes.

Have a great week of reading!

6 comments:

  1. Nice variety of books. All of them are new to me. Come see what my week was like here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband loved Mexican Whiteboy. It is on my TBR list - I want to read a few more of Matt's books this summer - so love his writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to read Matt de la Pena's books. I loved his PB that came out this year, but haven't read his chapter books. He seems to be quite talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Sorry I missed you yesterday. I had an awful migraine. But I am back, now!
    I love Matt de la Pena. His books stick with me. I am glad you are enjoying Mexican WhiteBoy. It is one I loved. I am interested in Escaping the Tiger. I love learning about history through books, and this is a good one. Thank you for sharing it. I will ask my librarians if they can get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Escaping the Tiger and Surviving Santiago sound like a powerful stories. I am not familiar with Matt de la Pena's work, but have added this to my list of books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful books that are not even on my radar yet. Princess X and Eep both look amazing. I just met a few educators from Amsterdam who visited our institution and I gave a brief talk to them about our programs here in Singapore. I'm envious that you're going there! :)

    ReplyDelete