Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Slice of Life - A Wicked Afternoon

The Slice of Life Challenge was created by the people over at the blog Two Writing Teachers. The challenge is to write about some part of your day and share it each Tuesday then give feedback to at least three other bloggers.


My day started around 7:15 when my mother woke me up in our hotel room. We got dressed, packed and went down to grab a quick breakfast before hitting the road. We had to stop for gas, but then it was a straight shot back to her house. It was straight, but it wasn't quick. We got to Mom's around 11:15. We were pretty much on schedule because I was aiming for departure by noon at the latest.

Mom made sure she packed me a nice bag of snacks before I set off on the much longer road trip that would add at least another seven hours of driving to my day. Fortunately, the sun was shining, traffic was light and I had plenty of audiobooks and music packed in my car. I started out listening to the middle grade novel Five, Six, Seven, Nate!. Nate is an understudy performing in his first Broadway musical. About four hours into my drive, I hit Chicago traffic. I put my windows down and knew  driving was becoming way more complicated so it was time for music. Nate had me thinking about Broadway, so Wicked was the obvious choice. My copy is the version from Stuttgart so it also helped me review German vocabulary for a trip I'm taking this summer.

I've driven through Chicago many times between my home in Wisconsin and my mother's place in Ohio and have often been incredibly frustrated. This time though, a cool breeze, beautiful sunshine beaming down on me and Wicked blasting through my speakers made it my favorite traffic jam ever. Of course I sang at the top of my lungs. Wouldn't you?

8 comments:

  1. You stayed within the theme topic of musical theater, though, with Five, Six, Seven, Nate and Wicked! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually saw Wicked in Chicago with a friend of mine years ago. Chicago scared me at that time. But now, I have a different perspective. I took a summer class right in Chicago, and though I wouldn't say I love it, it does intrigue me. I loved how you took a possibly frustrating situation and made it shine. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually saw Wicked in Chicago with a friend of mine years ago. Chicago scared me at that time. But now, I have a different perspective. I took a summer class right in Chicago, and though I wouldn't say I love it, it does intrigue me. I loved how you took a possibly frustrating situation and made it shine. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had your long trip well prepared with stories and music. Singing is a perfect choice to add enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Singing Wicked in German - that is quite an accomplishment. Loved the musical but those tunes don't exactly roll of the tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the prep on this long, sometimes frustrating, journey, Crystal. Sounds great, the singing too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Nobody in all of Oz is ever going to bring me down!" Love Defying Gravity! Love Idina Menzel's voice so much, how is the German Idina?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The German Idina, Willemijn Verkaik, is fantastic. I looked her up and she has performed the role in four countries in three different languages. Pretty impressive.

      Delete