Tuesday, March 24, 2015

{#sol15} A New Book Trailer Makes Me Smile 24/31


hosted by Two Writing Teachers

Book trailers are so fun! Meg Medina is an awesome author and I'm excited to see this trailer for her newest picture book coming this August in both Spanish, Mango, Abuela Y Yo and in English Mango, Abuela and Me.


Abuela, Mia's grandmother, moves in, but she doesn't speak English and Mia doesn't speak Spanish. I can't wait to see how Mango helps out.

I have this situation when I visit my in-laws though I don't have a bird to help. Most of the younger relatives speak English, but some of the older relatives speak German and very little English. I know some German, but am far from fluent. This makes for a great learning experience though it can be quite challenging.

I've run across a few other books that deal with a language disconnect between children and their grandparents. In Playing Loteria/El juego de la loteria by René Colato Laínez, a young boy goes to Mexico to visit his abuelita, but he's worried since she only speaks Spanish. In Sitti's Secrets by Naomi Shihab Nye, a young American girl goes to Palestine to stay with her grandmother. Again, there is a verbal language barrier, but they manage to communicate. I think it's great to have more books sharing this type of experience.

Mango, Abuela, and Me looks like it will be a great addition to our library and I look forward to reading it this summer. Book trailers are awesome ways to get us excited about books.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the book trailer. I love them too.

    ReplyDelete