Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Slice of Life




The Slice of Life Challenge was created by the people over at the blog Two Writing Teachers. The challenge is to write about some part of your day and share it each Tuesday.



As I started out on my run, I planned to go over the big blue bridges like I had the past week. I changed course though and headed towards the art center. This lead to several discoveries. There were bird shadows painted onto the sidewalk squares. That slowed me down just in time to see this poem:


There were many poems along my way and many more sights to see that were new to me. A mural that I had been wanting to find was right there in front of me when I turned a corner.

"Confluence" mural in La Crosse
I discovered a playful pair of footprints too. 

Kiss or Hug?
The sun was setting and lights were winking on as I continued on my run. Three ducks were swimming up river and lights were sparkling on the water as I passed many people enjoying the evening.

What I loved most though was running through the Moon Gate into the International Friendship Garden where we wandered earlier this summer with our exchange student. She and my daughter embodied the spirit of the garden as they posed on the Friendship Bridge.


The garden is a place dedicated to celebrating and encouraging connections between people. We were blessed to meet our student, but it is difficult knowing we won't be together again for a long time. Still, the memories brought a smile to my face.

Changing my course for the evening brought me many moments of joy and I am thankful for that.

** All of the photos are my own, but I took them before or after my run. At the time I wished for a camera, but was also glad that without it, I could just enjoy myself and be present.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Turns out to be much, much more than just a run, huh? I love those footprints!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There were many poems along my way...."
    Well, this is delightful. You could write that as a first line for every paragraph in a journal. However, you literally had poems etched in the sidewalk. Wow.
    "and many sights to see that were new to me..."
    Your language has the rhythm of your running.
    Quite a tour. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that was a lovely ramble - thanks for the treat!

    ReplyDelete