Monday, June 23, 2014

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journeys. Jen Vincent over at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye from Unleashing Readers decided to put a children's and YA spin on it and they invite anyone with an interest to join in. You can participate by creating your post then visit one of their sites to add your site. Finally, visit at least three participant blogs and comment to spread the love.

If you want to know more about what I am reading, visit me at my Goodreads shelfImages via Goodreads unless otherwise noted.


Review

Previous Week:





It's a brief recap today. The ones I really, really liked: Shining Star: The Anna May Wong Story, Grandfather's Journey, Baby Flo, and Tea with Milk. My Heartbeat and The Red Pencil were also quite good. A Rule is to Break was quite funny though I had mixed feelings about it. Many of the others were okay too, but didn't quite zing as much. 

I did enjoy several of the poems from Indivisible: Poems for Social Justice. Here is one of them.


The Coming Week:
Currently Reading
I will probably read The Revolution of Evelyn Serrano after those and a few Printz books. I had started working on the Caldecotts again, but may focus on the Pura Belpre books instead since they would go toward my Diversity on the Shelf Challenge and the Latin@s in Kid Lit Challenge also. Besides, I only have about 60 more to read for that unlike the 150+ for the Caldecotts. I love that summer offers so many opportunities for reading. What are you reading this week?

9 comments:

  1. You've been so busy this week! You must be so far ahead on #bookaday!!! I need to read Grandfather's Journey. I've seen it but haven't read it! Have a great week! See you soon at nerdcampmi, right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I am excited to meet you and other Nerdybookclub friends soon. :)

      Delete
  2. I will certainly look for The Red Pencil when it comes out, Crystal. Thanks also for the poem, & the other book titles. You have many on the list I'd like to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Red Pencil takes place in Sudan and is one that will stay with me for a long time.

      Delete
  3. I am ashamed to admit I haven't read any Louise Erdich books, and I want to read The Round House. The Red Pencil also looks very good. Thanks for this big list! I hope you have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read a few of Erdrich's adult books and LOVE her Birchbark House series. Round House deals with pretty intense subject matter so it's not a lighthearted read by any means. Well written and absorbing so far.

      Delete
  4. You have so many titles here! Amazon Boy has a gorgeous cover. I love Ted Lewin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice book with an environmental message.

      Delete
  5. I love the joy in that salsa book - brimming with so much happiness! The Red Pencil sounds wonderful too. I love Andrea Davis Pinkney, so I'm pretty certain I would love this one.

    ReplyDelete