Sunday, October 13, 2013

It's Monday! What are you reading?



It's Monday! What are you reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journeys. Jen Vincent over at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye from Unleashing Readers decided to put a children's and YA spin on it and they invite anyone with an interest to join in. You can participate by creating your post then visit one of their sites to add your site. Finally, visit at least three participant blogs and comment to spread the love.

If you want to know more about what I am reading, visit me at my Goodreads shelf. Images via Goodreads unless otherwise noted.

The Past Week:


Picture Books


Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon was in our Book Fair and I am glad that I got to read it. I loved how Molly Lou's grandmother encourages her to use her imagination. It was also cool that her new best friend has crutches and it is not really even part of the story. Tiger in My Soup is a fun story. The young  boy has quite the adventure when a tiger looks back at him out of his soup bowl. Flabbersmashed About You is a story of friendship, but not just how we become friends, but how friendship sometimes changes.

Non-fiction

Image via Barnes and Noble

Biographies are fun and this one was especially wonderful since I enjoyed her most recent book, Niño Wrestles the World and Mr. Schu had posted a video of her reading within the past week. I could hear her voice as I read.



The videos below would be great to pair with her biography.



Middle Grade/YA


Cynthia Kadohata shares another great story of family with The Thing About Luck. I enjoy seeing other ways of being a family. In this children are traveling with their grandparents as they help harvest wheat.  Written in Stone is another book that highlights family interactions. I reviewed it on Saturday. Interworld was a bit of a challenge for me. I don't read a whole lot of science fiction to start with, but I also found myself disconnecting from the book every time I put it down so it took me several weeks to read, but finally this week, the action sucked me in and I zipped through the end. I am not sure if I will attempt the sequel, but was glad that it finally clicked with me.

The Coming Week:
I just started listening to Liar by Justine Larbalestier. Wow! What a twisty and unique story. I am definitely enjoying this one. I have a road trip later this week, so I will likely finish that. Monstrous Beauty is also next to my chair. Interesting so far. I have several books I need to review so that will probably determine what I read - The Twistrose Key and maybe From Norvelt to Nowhere. Have a great week of reading!

6 comments:

  1. Hi there Crystal. I have a copy of Interworld but haven't started reading it yet. I didn't realize Cynthia Kadohata has a new novel, wonderful! Thanks for sharing the video clips of Yuyi Morales - sounds like her new picture book would be a huge hit. :) Thanks for sharing all these. Have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love Yuyi's newest picture book. I have so many WWE fans that will love it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Crystal, I also heard about Yuyi's new book on another blog today. I will have to look for it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liar sounds interesting! I just finished To Be Perfectly Honest by Sonya Sones about a girl who lies a lot, I wonder if they would be good pairs? I also adored Monstrous Beauty. Elizabeth Fama is lovely and she did an amazing job with such an intricate historical fiction book that is also a love story and a ghost story. I would love to hear what you think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am about halfway through The Thing about Luck and loving the relationship between grandparents and grandchildren. We have a reading connection again I think - I just included Nino Wrestles the World on my blog for the #IMWAYR post too. Really enjoyed these videos Thank you!

    ReplyDelete