Sunday, September 1, 2013

It's Monday! What are you reading?




It's Monday! What are you reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journeys. Jen Vincent over at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye from Unleashing Readers decided to put a children's and YA spin on it and they invite anyone with an interest to join in. You can participate by creating your post then visit one of their sites to add your site. Finally, visit at least three participant blogs and comment to spread the love.

The Past Week:
Picture Books


Crankenstein was cute. I have felt cranky many a time & have witnessed children with that affliction on many occasions. It is all too relatable. 


Carnivores is the story of carnivores of the animal persuasion who are trying to become vegetarian with hilarious results. 


My favorite picture book of the week though was Journey. It is a bit reminiscent of Harold and the Purple Crayon. Gorgeous illustrations tell the story without need for words. This will be a fabulous inspiration for creativity and celebrating imagination.


Middle Grade


I enjoyed The Boy on the Porch and I reviewed it yesterday on the blog. It was written more from the perspective of the adults who found him rather than the boy. 


Strangely enough, Better to Wish was through an adults eyes. The main character was telling about her memories so she shares stories from her childhood, teenage years, and even into adulthood. I think there are some students who will enjoy both of these.

The Coming Week:
I will probably be doing a lot of re-reads as I share some of my favorite picture books with students for the first week of school. I will try to get to E.M. Kokie's Personal Effects. It is on our high school state Battle of the Books list. With it being the first week of school, I don't have high hopes for reading. It will be a busy and tiring week so I may not get a lot of reading accomplished. What will you be reading? Have a wonderful week!





15 comments:

  1. I should give Carnivores a try since my boss keeps raving about it. We can't keep Journey on our shelves and understandably so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty funny. I am not sure how a vegetarian would feel about it. I am eager to see what Jen Vincent thinks. ;)

      Delete
  2. I requested Carnivores from my library just now. I really like how you include the book trailers for your books. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is getting so there are trailers for so many picture books. I love it.

      Delete
  3. I'm really intrigued by Journey but we don't have that title here in our libraries yet. I am sure I would love it though. I haven't read Harold and the Purple Crayon yet! I know I know - so remiss. Will put that at the top of my list when I visit the library this weekend. Have a great reading week ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember loving Harold when I was a child. I read it again not too long ago. Fabulous for inspiring creativity and imagination.

      Delete
  4. Great books this week! I love that JOURNEY is making the rounds on Twitter and #NerdyBookClub. Such an amazing book. I'm seriously rallying for that one to win the Caldecott.

    I'm waiting very impatiently for CRANKENSTEIN and CARNIVORES to show up at my library. I really want to read those. The trailer for CARNIVORES is hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Journey is a work of art. I have ordered it and can't wait to share it with staff and students.

      Delete
  5. I hope you have a great first week of school. I am really curious about Crankenstein and will have to add it to my next book order. Here is my Monday Report. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! Crankenstein reminds me not to lighten up. :)

      Delete
  6. Can't wait to get my hands on Journey... and Carnivores... and Crankenstein- top 3 lately, good to see what you think! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So fun. I felt like I hit the jackpot to read all three in one day.

      Delete
  7. Add me to the list of readers who is getting impatient to read Carnivores! Looks like so much fun and I think it will be a huge hit in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think kiddos will love Carnivores. I can't wait to see the smiles.

      Delete
  8. I will have to look up Journey and Crankenstein. I liked the trailer for Carnivores better than the actual book (I mean, it was good, too ... but that trailer was hilarious).

    Haven't heard of the two middle grade ones. Will check them out!

    ReplyDelete