Sunday, March 3, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



Jen & Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts host a meme every Monday that invites people to share the children's and young adult books they have been reading over the past week and what they plan on reading the following week.

You may find more complete information about what I am reading at Goodreads or by clicking on the Goodreads widget along the side of my blog.

Past Week:
2012 Nerdy Shortlist


In the Sea has fabulous illustrations and wonderful word play throughout this collection of sea poems. I loved it! The Plant Hunters was interesting especially since I had read Measuring the World last month which also followed some plant hunters and I am now reading Charles and Emma: The Darwin's Leap of Faith too. I am hitting quite a few books about plant collectors all in the same month.  We've Got a Job is an inspiring look at some children who believed that they could help change their world and went on to do it. 


Printz Challenge


I love, love, love Terry Pratchett's ability to tell a tale and am so thankful that I started the Printz Challenge or I may have never picked up this book. I have read his Tiffany Aching books, but had been reluctant to start any others. I don't know why precisely. I am glad that I experienced Nation. It caused me to think, to wonder, and he also managed to make me cry.




Picture Books






Lots of great stories in the picture books this week. Too many to talk about individually, but if you can, try to find Nicola Campbell's books about the First Nation residential school experience.

Middle Grade and YA




As Long as the Rivers Flow was another book about a First Nation residential school experience. Having to leave family, culture, and everything you know at such a young age without a choice had to be so difficult. I appreciate that there are more and more books that are sharing the experience and helping us to understand the history of our continent. 

I enjoyed the characters and friendships in Bamboo People. They may not have had much in common, but they were able to find ways to connect with each other.

The Coming Week:
I am reading Charles and Emma with my ears and am also finishing up Navigating Early which I was so happy to get from my Book Buddy through Jen & Kellee's book exchange. I have My Friend Dahmer, Ichiro, Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity and Almost Home in my bookstack for the week and will also likely throw in a few unexpectedly. Have a great week of reading!







5 comments:

  1. Love that you had that overlap with your planter hunter-type books. Have you read The Lost City of Z by David Grann? Super interesting "adult" biography about a British Explorer in South America in the 1920s . . . a Plant Hunter's book on steroids, if you will. I love reading about all your progress on all your different reading challenges! We've Got a Job is high up on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the hint about The Lost City of Z. I like to throw a few adult books in once in awhile. :) Biographies are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very interested in As Long as the Rivers Flow - thank you for the recommendation. I have many Aboriginal children in my classroom with family school histories that were challenging. I am going to look for this title.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture books by Campbell share that story as well as Fatty Legs. I have been seeking them out as it is a piece of our history that is often overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I'm suddenly seeing lots of Nation love on blogs lately. My first love is still his Discworld novels, but I did enjoy this one too.

    ReplyDelete