Sunday, June 3, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


This has been a pretty great week of reading. 



Newbery Challenge: I finished Johnny Tremain. This was a re-read. This hasn't been my favorite Newbery, but I have ehad njoyed this book all three times that I have read it.  The author really does an excellent job at creating a very human, flawed, annoying main character that still manages to get my sympathy.

Caldecott Challenge: I am really going slowly through this challenge. I will have to catch up a bit over the summer. I enjoyed reminiscing with Song of the Swallows. San Juan Capistrano was one of my favorite field trips as a child. The gardens were fantastic and the history of the place was certainly interesting.

See You at Harry's was the most emotionally difficult book that I read this week. Tears were flowing throughout this one. Jen Vincent and Colby Sharp were discussing this book and I have avoided reading what they said, but now that I have finished, I will finally get to see what they had to say about it. I am looking forward to that.

Picture Books: Blue Sky is simple and sweet while Beep and Bah is simply hilarious. My first grade students loved it.

I am the Book is my penultimate 2011 Nerdy Nominee. I really enjoyed the many poems about books and poetry. I am going to order this one for sure. I want to post two of the poems in my LMC for next year too.

Netgalley was kind to me this week and I was able to read three excellent graphic novels. Amulet #5 was filled with action and adventure and definitely will satisfy my students. Drama had plenty of drama and fantastic characters. I really enjoyed the memoir Little White Duck: Growing Up in China. There aren't that many books set during that time period in China so it is intriguing to read about it.

Funny Business had some very funny stories. I especially liked Eoin Colfer's story about how he came up with Artemis Fowl. The other one that really got me laughing was the one by Kate DiCamillo and Jon Scieszka.

A Stone in the Soup: A Hmong Girl's Journey was a great discussion starter with my second grade students. The Hmong students had a lot to say and the other students were able to ask questions and hear some history of the Hmong people. It helped that the story incorporated a story everyone was already familiar with too.

For the next week I will be reading Rabbit Hill and Strawberry Girl for the Newbery Challenge. I am also going to start Book-a-day so I will likely just share a few of my favorites because I should be reading at a much faster pace. I finally have Finnikin of the Rock so it is in my pile for this week. I also checked out some new non-fiction. Happy reading!


6 comments:

  1. Finnikin of the Rock is one of my absolute favorite YA novels. Possibly my very favorite YA fantasty. I hope you like it too! When I was reading through the Caldecotts the worst part was finding some of the old books. No libraries in my system had them, so I had to travel hours away just to read some picture books, haha! Song of the Swallows was one of my favorites of the older ones. Can't wait to read See You at Harry's and Drama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear the positives about Finnikin. I am really looking forward to it now.

      I had to drive to a private university to read Daniel Boone. Fortunately it was short so I didn't have to stay long. I had to ILL some of the Caldecotts too. It is hard to track some of them down, but that sort of adds to the challenge. Makes it like a treasure hunt.

      Delete
  2. I have See You at Harry's at home, but I am afraid to read it. I have still not recovered from The Fault in Our Stars. I don't think I am up for an emotional book right now...but I keep hearing it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See You at Harry's is a pretty hard hitter. I have been stressed out lately so maybe it got to me more than it normally would have, but I think you are right to wait until you are in the right frame of mind for it. I honestly avoid tear-jerkers if at all possible. I might not have jumped into Harry's had I realized what I was getting into, but I thought it was worth the tears.

      Delete
  3. Great reading week!

    I am so jealous! I am *impatiently* waiting for my NetGalley approvals so I can read Amulet #5, Drama and Captain Underpants.

    I am the Book & See you at Harry's are great books- I'm glad you enjoyed them.

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kellee! I hope they click that approve button soon!

      Delete